Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pilger Supporting Assange

Statement by John Pilger in support of Canberra candlelight vigil for #Assange

by John Pilger

29 November 2012

I am sorry I can’t be with you at this vigil. I am in London keeping an eye on Julian. Be assured he’s doing remarkably well in the circumstances, and each time I see him I am struck by his energy and courage.

In my own career I have known what it’s like to challenge and sometimes confront great power. You enter another world – a world of shadows and the utter ruthlessness of state power.

When Julian designed and built WikiLeaks he knew he would become a state enemy – the reward was that he would be a rare voice of ordinary people. What he has done is important to all of us because these days the state, behind its democratic facades, has become in many ways an enemy of people.

At this vigil, please both understand that reality and celebrate the courage, and the resilience, of Julian Assange. He deserves all the power we, the people, can give him.

No comments: