Saturday, February 19, 2005

No Little Eichmann's

Lessons learned from those 102 minutes...
Mickey Z.
Thursday, February 17, 2005

I just finished reading a book called “102 Minutes,” a detailed report of the events inside the World Trade Center on the morning of 9/11. The title refers to the time that elapsed between the first plane hitting the north tower and the time both towers had collapsed.


A Little Eichmann?


Riveting reading...as you might imagine. The stories are edge-of-your-seat stuff and had me wishing that we had similar books about attacks in other countries. I think it would be quite a bridge for American readers to have such a graphic re-telling of, say, the U.S. assault on Falluja or Israeli attack on Jenin. If we could get to know, so to speak, those victims and learn of their often heroic behavior under fire, how could it not at least humanize these issues a bit? Put a face on those under the bombs America drops. Maybe such books exist. If so, I wonder if anything can be found in English. Does anyone know?

Another powerful feeling I had throughout “102 Minutes” was how it worked as a counterbalance to Ward Churchill’s now infamous “little Eichmann” comment. Read the book and you’ll have a better grip on who most of the victims were. Eichmann woke up every day dreaming of better ways to commit genocide. It should be obvious to all that the workers in the WTC did not. Of course, the direct and indirect fallout from their work can and does result in misery and sometimes death across the globe. But the vast majority of these people were, at most, guilty of being in denial...being pathetically and dangerously ignorant. Eichmanns they were not.

My question: Am I a little Eichmann, too? I know some who would say yes. Since I’ve never earned enough money as a writer to avoid “real” work, I’m a personal trainer and kickboxing instructor. My clients, unavoidably, are wealthy...sometimes immensely wealthy. Thus, on Churchill’s Eichmann Scale, I am keeping these captains of industry healthy and fit enough to commit, or at least contribute to genocide.

My answer: I’m not a little Eichmann and neither were the people in the WTC. I felt that way--and stated it--when I first read the characterization some three-plus years ago. My opinion has not changed just because Churchill is the target of a witch hunt.

Buried under that reality is the fact that Churchill has done some important work on U.S. foreign and domestic policy and has a message about global justice that should be heard. Thanks to his admitted desire to “go for the gut,” that message is currently blurred. As stated in the many articles I’ve written on him, I fully support his right to say what he said but, unlike others, I just don’t see how this affair or his choice of language are helping to get his opinions and ideas taken seriously. I hope I’m wrong because, after all, the man is talking about genocide and the U.S. honoring its own laws. I suggest everyone read more of his work and not judge him--good or bad--by the current controversy.

Also buried is this: No matter what side you come down on...no one deserves to die. Not even Eichmann.


Posted by Mickey Z on 02/17 at 05:39 AM

No comments: