Sunday, December 31, 2023

John Pilger Présente

John Pilger Présente

by C. L. Cook - Gorilla-Radio.com

 
December 31, 2023
 
 
 
I've just heard journalism legend, John Pilger has died. There will be tributes galore for the filmmaker and print journalist; tributes that will tell more about his epic career and uncompromising character - and better ones than I can do here. But, I can relate my brief acquaintance with the great man.
 
I tracked John down in hopes of an interview for this obscure radio show, produced in the basement of some backwater university, somewhere on the edge of backward nation of Canada in 2007. He graciously accepted my invitation, but as I was making the long-distance call I discovered my long-distance calling card (Google it) was empty. I raced to the nearest gas station to get another one, but by the time I returned to the studio he couldn't be reached. 
 
I sent him abject emails of apology, and he agreed to try again the next week. And so, this guy who had filed from war zones, and investigated the most gruesome crimes against humanity and their perpetrators came on to discuss his then newly-released film, 'The Death of Democracy'. 

That was in 2007, and here it is...
 
I don't know what Pilger thought of Che Guevera and the Cuban Revolution, but I'm pretty sure he would appreciate sentiment:

Hasta La Victoria, Siempre!


 


No comments: