Monday, July 28, 2014

The Case of the Good Doctor, Rafil Dhafir: When You Live in a SHU

Rafil Dhafir Update: Back in the SHU

by Katherine Hughes - Dhafir Trial

Rafil writes that he is still in the SHU with no end in sight. This is especially sad because Ramadan is such a special community time and Rafil loved saving food from the commissar and making delicious deserts for others.

(I seem to remember that he told me he is a qualified chef, and he loved having people over to his house at Thanksgiving and other holidays.)

They have taken his address book from him and so he couldn’t write to me until he got a letter from me. He says,

“To this moment no one is willing to tell me why I am here. The chaplain, England, says he was told because of my prayer! If true it is incredible.”

Rafil suspects the orders are coming from Washington to frustrate his legal efforts and that, if his suspicion is true, he will be held until the November deadline passes. I hope Kathy Manley will be able to tell us more after her visit on the 1st of August. He said that he cannot think of doing anything to antagonize them (in Devens), and for the past 2 years has intentionally kept a low profile.

He continues: “Bob Elmendorf sent me a couple of the letters sent to the warden. So far nothing has worked. More need to be done and continuously until justice is served. What’s being done to me is not right and I doubt that it is legal. I am here cut off from the rest of the world except by snail mail. I have not responded to the many letters I received because I have no writing material enough nor stamps (they took my stamps and refuse to let me have them). I am keeping all mail to respond to later, insha Allah. No outside stamps are allowed.”

He has one hour of outside exercise from Monday to Friday, but is not always taken out even then.

He says, “We are in the last ten days of Ramadan which are dear to me to do more worship and staying up. I am unable because of the noise, distraction (I am not alone in this small room), an alarm clock is not allowed.
“I am *not” complaining, as it could be worse, as I always say, but only to put you in the picture.
“This chapter of my abduction should be an important part of the documentary because of its timing and significance.
“I am allowed only 15 min call a month. I talked to Priscilla (his wife) once. My next call will be Aug. 4th insha Allah.”

Rafil finishes by saying that after eleven and a half years, nothing surprises him any more. He lists several of the difficulties he’s had to face over the years, including being denied his medicine and being given dirty sheets and clothing, but finishes saying:

“…but they CANNOT take my dignity and mind away, my maker is too kind to me to allow that to happen. I have no doubt that they are trying . That’s why I am forever grateful to Him for all his favors, among them that I have (which He provided) people like you who will not be fooled.”

The letter is signed then, “July 202014; Ramadan 23, 1435” with a PS “I was abducted to the SHU Wed. June 18th 2014 at 8.38 a.m.”

Lana and I did some filming today to include this information from Rafil and we will finish filming tomorrow as Lana leaves the U.S. on Tuesday :O( We have gotten the documentary to a good place so that we can work on it despite the distance and hope that it might be ready to put on the internet in 6-8 weeks. This would allow a good amount of time for people to see it it and for it to get some coverage before Rafil’s 2255 deadline of November 1st.

Please keep up pressure on the prison to get him out of the SHU. Also please keep writing to Rafil and letting him know he is not alone.

My best to everyone,
Katherine

Never give in! :O)


Rafil Dhafir

#11921-052-Unit HB

Federal Medical Center Devens

PO Box 879

Ayer MA 01432

If you want to be removed from this list at any time, let me know.

This again, just in case:

Dear All,

Once again I am sending information on how to contact the prison and the address to write Rafil. Polite calls to the prison inquiring about the reason Rafil was put in the solitary housing unit, and asking that he be released into general population and letters to the warden plus letters to Rafil expressing support will be helpful.

The main number of the prison: 978-796-1000 You must give Rafil Dhafir's inmate locator number 11921-052 in your phone call or letter. Remember that Ken Freeland previously has told us that Rafil's case manager is Mr. (Brian) Cincotta (pronounced "sin-COT-tuh"), whom you can reach by calling the general number, pressing 0 because the matter concerns a prisoner, and asking to get connected to Mr. Cincotta.

Warden Jeffrey Grondowski
FMC Devens
P.O. Box 880
Ayer, MA 01432
fax (978) 796-1118
dev/execassistant@bop.gov

Rafil Dhafir 11921-052
FMC Devens
Federal Medical Center
P.O. Box 879
Ayer, MA 01432

Thank you for any help you can give.

Bob

No comments: